Saturday, January 17, 2015

If I Stay

     I saw last week If I Stay, I had read the book but I hadn’t found time to watch the movie. I believe it’s pretty good for a romantic / teen movie, however, it doesn’t have anything to do with the book.
     I found the book heartbreaking and overwhelming, I cried every few pages and I wanted to know if she decided to die or to stay. The book was, at least for me, a reflection about life and how we grief death. The writer made you feel as if Mia (the main character) was alone without her parents and brother, as if she had lost it all. Reading the book I could understand why maybe she could decide to go and reunite with her dead family. I was heartbroken when her granddad talks to her while she’s on a coma and I understood her love for the cello and music.

     However, the movie was completely different. I felt as if she had still a lot of people in her life in spite of her parents and brother dying and although I cried with her granddad monologue, it wasn’t the same. The movie is about love, is about how Adam made her happy and how, supposedly, he made her decide to stay. But it’s not like that, because in the sequel you learn that they actually break up after she wakes up, so she didn’t really decide to stay for him, she decided to stay because of the music and to get to live her life, even if she knew that it was going to be really difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment